The passionate hiker

The passionate hiker
Early days in the outdoors

Sunday, July 6, 2014

The Rideau Trail: Lally Homestead (09B) to Narrows Lock Road (09E+)

Sun. 6 July:  The Rideau Trail:
Lally Homestead (09B) to Narrows Lock Road (09E+)

In a quiet corner of the Rideau Trail
This more challenging section of the trail started about twenty kilometres south of Perth and headed through the undulating Canadian Shield country of forest and swamp, beside an area of abandoned mica mines.

Logistics were made easy today as L. was heading to the Silver Queen mica mine as a Sunday volunteer, showing the tourists how life used to be in a mining camp.  She played the role of the cook’s mother!

Anyway, this gave me the perfect start for this trip.  Lally Homestead consists of two old log houses sitting in a field, preserved but not accessible to the public.  This also marks the start of the Central section of the Rideau Trail.  It runs north through Perth then east to Smiths Falls and on to Rosedale.

The air was full of flies banging into my face, so I tried out my one piece bug jacket which worked perfectly.  I was glad that I didn’t meet anyone on the trail, as I probably looked a little ridiculous, but all day the flies and mosquitoes were buzzing all around my face and the jacket allowed me to stop to take better pictures without being attacked.  As far as meeting people is concerned, I have now travelled close to thirty kilometres of this trail over three trips and have yet to meet another person!

At the very first swamp I surprised a young deer standing at the water’s edge.  This section of trail twists and turns through the forest, following a random course which was well marked by the red triangle pointers nailed to trees.  Nevertheless, there were three or four occasions today where I might have easily gone astray as the markers were not easily visible in the leafy forest and bush.  I was careful not to stray too far from the last known red arrow before heading out into the unknown.  It would be easy enough to get lost out here – and it would be a serious lost!  No shinning up a ridge to get the lie of the land as in Alberta, just a vast area of forest, swamp and lake.  

Perhaps the trickiest route-finding challenge was in a series of open fields with cows grazing.  The "obvious" path turned out not to be my trail, but a cattle path.  Finally I found a trail sign higher up the field to my right, hidden by the bushes.  And at one point deep in the forest, the trail dropped into a small depression where the exit point took some finding - but I found it. 

I stopped for a snack at a handy outcrop above a small swamp, with the strong breeze in my face.  On two occasions the trail comes near to a road, and for a while follows the gravel access road to a group camp.  But it generally takes its own winding course through the wilderness.

The most interesting section comes after waypoint 09D, where I passed through an extensive area of old mica mines.  There were many holes in the ground as I followed the top of a forested ridge.  Some of the holes were quite deep.  It would be a terrible end to slip down into one of them.  A sign alerts hikers to stay on the trail due to “deep holes”.  A good caution.

Eventually the trail became more clear, turning into a double track and then a gravel road, Powers Road, which leads to Narrows Lock Road.  Along Powers Road I picked up a companion - a friendly dog.  He gave me a scare as we approached the main road as he trotted out in front of an oncoming car but the driver had seen my frantic waving.  Luckily a man stopped and told me he was the dog’s neighbour and took care of it before any major accident could occur.  

The final section of my journey today was along this road which was luckily not too busy.  It’s a shame that the Rideau Trail has to revert occasionally to the reality of roadsides, after spending most of its time in a magical wilderness world.

I returned to my car which I had left at the lonely roadside Municipal Hall and parking area for large snow-ploughs.  I don’t see myself trying to do the Rideau Trail in winter.  There is a well-earned badge for doing so.  I will settle for completing the Central portion of this compelling trail by the end of this hiking season.  I’m well on my way already.


Statistics:

Total Distance:                10.9 km (hike)
Height Gain:                    Some small ups & downs
Time on Trail:                  3 hrs. 51 mins.
Start (Lally H’stead):         8.40 am
Group Campsite (09C):    9.22 am
Long Lake Rd. (09D):      10.38 am
Narrows Lk/Powers Rd:  12.18 pm
Car:                                  12.31 pm
Temp:                             +19C to +24C
Weather:           Sunny, clouds building.  Strong breeze. 


Lally Homestead - start of today's hike
The trail to the right leads to an old mica mine - highly recommended!
In the swamp
One of several swamps passed on today's trail
Trail ghosts?  Or trying out my bug jacket (worked well!)
Road to the group camp is also a great XC ski trail
Impossible to miss overhead trail marker
Some markers were much harder to spot (see top left)
Alarming sign warning of old mica mines in the area
No doubt about the danger here!
Great place to stop for a snack above this pretty swamp in the strong breeze
Lots of butterflies today
Glittering pathway with pieces of  mica catching the sunlight
Large swamp beside the Narrows Lock road
Bandits!! Low ten o'clock!!!!
Typical stile on the Rideau Trail - this one leads off Long Lake road
Looking straight down into an old mica mine - deep hole.
This warning sign sits beside a large hole in the ground filled with water
New found friend joins me along the Powers road

Some less than ideal hiking beside the Narrows Lock road
From an official mica collection, showing how the rock can be separated
 into thin layers, once used as lamp glass and windows.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I see a no dog sign. I am planning a thru hike of the whole Rideau Trail with my dog. Where is this section? This really puts a hitch in my plans.

The Editor said...

Yes, I'm afraid that our agreements with all the private landowners along the trail mean that we can't take our dogs, and so we are very careful to respect those agreements as we rely on the kindness of landowners for the existence of our trail. Sorry about that. There are some sections of trail where we share the route with other trails, for example K&P and Cataraqui Trails, north from Kingston, and the NCC trails in Ottawa, so you might check what their rules are and possibly that might give you some nice options. Best of luck.