The passionate hiker

The passionate hiker
Early days in the outdoors

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Rideau Trail: Narrows Lock Road (09E+) to Ferrier Road W. (10B+)

Mon. 14 July:  The Rideau Trail:
Narrows Lock Road (09E+) to Ferrier Road W. (10B+)

On the Rideau Trail
After the road-slog along Narrows Lock Road and Stanley Road, this section of the Rideau Trail was stunning.  A pretty country lane led into the forest, where I wandered for several kilometres along woodland trails, past some huge trees, across a swamp on a narrow boardwalk, and finally out onto Ferrier Road, a little relieved that I had not got lost in there.

Walking beside Narrows Lock Road is not very exciting.  Luckily there was light traffic, as it was a fast stretch of road.  A horse in a fenced field across the road was surprised by the loud noise of a speeding car and took off across the pasture at a gallop.  I soon turned right onto Stanley Road, a quiet country road serving several isolated homes.  A buzzard circled above, looking for its next meal I suppose.  

After two and three-quarter kilometres along this arrow-straight gravel road, I was glad to reach a junction where I turned right onto McLaren Road.  From this point, the trail was a delight, the whole way to Ferrier Road.  McLaren Road was the prettiest of country lanes, soon leading me into the forest.  The route remained clear, following a wide trail deeper into the trees, past half-hidden swamps.  

Turning left off the road, I now continued on increasingly narrow trails further into the woods.  As always, the red signs kept me on track, although I sensed that this section of the Rideau Trail may see more hikers, perhaps being nearer to Perth – but perhaps due to its natural beauty.  There were lots of wildflowers, colorful fungus growing on logs and in the ground, and squirrels and chipmunks racing across the forest floor.  Holes in trees showed the presence of woodpeckers I assume.

In the deepest woods I passed a hunters cabin, and pieces of shining mica on the trail, suggesting a nearby abandoned mine.  There were a few gigantic trees, some now dead, indicating how the forest might have looked before man arrived.  Luckily the new growth trees still make this a hauntingly beautiful place.

The highlight of this section might well be the narrow creaking boardwalk stretching across a wide swamp.  I surprised a duck and her ducklings, who raced away into the reeds as I came to the edge of the water.  I had to pay attention to my footsteps to avoid a wet tumble into the swamp!

Eventually I clambered over a stile and out into a field, feeling as if I had emerged from a very lonely country.  As on earlier hikes, I had to stay alert for the red signs to avoid getting quickly lost. There was one section of wide trail which curved to the left.  I soon realized that the Rideau Trail had decided to go straight into the forest at that point, and I had to backtrack a little - an example of needing to stay alert.

Coming out onto Ferrier Road, I walked a few hundred metres to my car, at a sign warning that the road was impassable from that point.  I looked forward to walking that next section of trail into Perth in the near future.

Statistics:

Total Distance:                9.2 km (hike)
Height Gain:                    Some small ups & downs
Time on Trail:                  2 hrs. 34 mins.
Start (Narrows Lk Rd):    1.50 pm
Junction L. (10A):            2.49 pm
Swamp boardwalk:         3.57 pm
Ferrier Rd W (10B):        4.18 pm
Car:                                 4.24 pm
Temp:                             +20C
Weather:           Cloud, hazy sun. Occasional breeze


Ferrier Road West:  Turkey buzzard eyeing its next meal...
...a squashed snake on the road
Beside Narrows Lock Road
Horse running from noisy car on Narrows Lock Road at Stanley Road
Stretching my telephoto lens to the limit - above Stanley Road
McLaren Road:  a pretty country lane
Lonely hunters cabin deep in the forest
Footbridge built by the Rideau Trail Assoc., crossing a small stream
Bright green fungus on a fallen tree trunk
Gigantic old tree looking very life-like
Magnificent forest setting
Colorful - but probably poisonous!
Narrow boardwalk across a swamp

On the boardwalk
Another picturesque corner of the Rideau Trail
End of today's journey and start of my next leg into Perth

No comments: