The passionate hiker

The passionate hiker
Early days in the outdoors

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Danger Zone

Sat. 3 October:  Danger Zone


Some early Fall color along Ferrier Road
This is a great hike if you have a kind person to drop you off at the start.

Having such a kind person available, I started from the junction of Allan Side Road and Ferrier Road and hiked all the way back into Perth along the Rideau Trail.  It’s a mixture of road, woodland, fields, and finally pathways and sidewalks.  A perfect way to spend an hour or two without having to go too far from town.

Between the two sections of Ferrier Road lies a swamp, which is bypassed through pleasant woodlands.  The wind was racing across the treetops, and it occurred to me that I should be alert to falling trees.  A moment later I heard a loud CRACK behind me, and a large tree fell across the trail with a heavy crash, breaking in two.  I was perhaps half a dozen steps ahead of the tree.  Now, of course, I was even more alert, but happily no more trees fell as I negotiated the rest of the woodland section and emerged onto the road.

But apparently there are a couple of uncontrolled dogs along the next section of road and so I remained vigilant as I passed the offending property.  Luckily today all was quiet.

It was with a small degree of relief that I arrived home in one piece.    

Note:  single-click on the first picture above to scroll through the photos separately.

Statistics:
Total Distance:     10.3 km (hike)
Height Gain:         Say 40 ft.
Time on Trail:       2 hrs. 21 mins.
Ferrier/Allan:        2.15 pm
Otty L. Rd:            3.18 pm
Conlon Fm:          4.15 pm
Home:                  4.36 pm
Temp:                   +11C
Weather:              NE wind, sun and cloud.

Long-distance shot:  Ferrier Road

Here the Rideau Trail turns southwards to the boardwalk

Shadowy woods

This tree fell across the trail five yards behind me, with a loud crack

It still looks like summer beside Wild Life Road

Crazy skyscapes...

... the outer edge of the US East Coast hurricane weather pattern

Heading towards Perth

Mr. Noah's parking lot

Soybean ready to harvest perhaps

Perth:  Scotch Line

No comments: