The passionate hiker

The passionate hiker
Early days in the outdoors

Thursday, December 27, 2018

Nine Hundred


Thurs. 27 December:  Nine Hundred


End point for my hike:  here the Rideau Trail turns away
from the Tay River heading East and North to Ottawa
Nine Hundred kilometres on the Rideau Trail – this year!   And still one or two hikes planned before January.

Today I broke the 900 km barrier on a stroll along the Rideau Trail through the beautiful Town of Perth.  It was a sunny morning, with “feels like” temperatures around minus 20C, and a light covering of snow.  

The Rideau Trail is only 400m from the house, and so it was a short stroll down into Stewart Park in the town centre to pick up the trail.  From there I travelled east along the trail, following the banks of the Tay River/Tay Canal. 

At the point where the trail turns sharply left away from the river, I turned around, to return the way I had come, clocking up 4.3 kilometres in each direction, enough to get me over the 900 mark.  It may have been sunny, but it wasn’t a day to hang around.  I headed home for a hot drink. 

And there will be no break, since the Rideau Trail winter end-to-end hike series starts in just over a week from now.

Stewart Park, Perth- my starting point today

The Rideau Trail follows the Tay River/Tay Canal

Perth Town Hall and the reverse side of the Rideau Trail sign

No comments: