The passionate hiker

The passionate hiker
Early days in the outdoors

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Traveling Companions: A Study in Pictures

Traveling Companions:  A Study in Pictures


Bald Hills, Jasper National Park

Even when you are hiking alone, you are never actually all on your own.  If you look around, you will find that there are many traveling companions, and some of them unlikely ones.  Over the past six years, I have racked up thousands of kilometres on the trail, mostly in the Canadian Rockies, but more recently in Eastern Ontario.  Here are some pictures of the strange characters who I met along the way.  I have not cheated.   This is what I saw out there on the trail, except in a few obvious cases where, just for the fun of it, I added a face or an eye! 

Note:  if you single-click on the first photo you can scroll through the pictures separately.

Elusive Shadows:  Whether on foot, or racing down trails on a bike, it’s hard to shake off that faithful, yet elusive shadow, especially with all that sunshine I have enjoyed on my travels.

Couldn't shake this guy off.
Rideau Trail - Massassauga Road
Ready for a speedy descent.
The Hump Pass, south end of Kananaskis Country
This sinister figure is actually a bug jacket fashion statement!
Rideau Trail - north of Lally Homestead

Unseen Travelers:  How glad I was, on many occasions, NOT to meet the owners of those footprints, but we came close several times.
I was not far behind this bear and cub.
Cascade Valley, Banff National Park
Common sight on my hikes in the Rockies.
Remote trail above Bighorn River, Alberta
Just missed this gigantic Grizzly.
Little Whaleback, Southern Rockies
Bigfoot???
McPhail Creek west of the Highwood River

Frequent Flyers:  Even the clouds seemed to take on a character of their own, and always rapidly changing as they moved across the sky.

Floating camel.
Above Baseline Fire Lookout, Central Alberta
Happy cloud with suitcase, flying northwards at great speed
Cat Creek Hills, Kananaskis Country
Sinister dark figures attacking the sun - they won.
Highwood Junction, Kananaskis Country

Rock Faces:  Faces everywhere!  I could not believe the number of rock faces I saw.  Yet I hardly dared mention it to people in case they thought I was spending too long in the outdoors.

Toad's Mouth, North Derbyshire (I did not add an eye - it was already there)













High above Parker Ridge, north end of Banff National Park
Laughing Falls, Yoho National Park.  I just had to add the laugh.
On Green Mountain, Sheep River Valley
Upper Sparrowhawk Valley, Kananaskis Country
The famous Troll below Nakiska ski hill, Kananaskis Valley
Elbow Falls pre-June/13 floods:  a proud warrior (or a large scary mouth)
Elbow Falls post-June/13 floods:  a sad transformation
The Fortress, wrapping its arms around the valley
Scary ghost with a big mouth -
or a person with a bushy moustache and wry smile.
Nihahi Ridge from Powderface Ridge

Graffiti Artists:  So weird but there is a rock language up there in the Rockies that still remains a mystery.  Have a go at a translation yourself.


Someone has been writing on this mountain wall.
Looks like CT plus some faded letters below.
The Mitre, seen from Mt. Saint Piran, above Lake Louise
Who can read mountain graffiti?  Have a try.
C-Level Cirque, Banff  National Park

Growing Attraction:  The trees along the Rideau Trail have a personality of their own, sometimes helpful and sometime a little scary.  I made sure to greet them as I passed by.

Tree devouring a trail sign
Rideau Trail - between McAndrews and Centreville Roads
This tree does not seem happy about this sign stuck in his eye.
Rideau Trail - Between Duck Bay and Narrows Lock Road
Whereas this tree is bending over backwards to help guide the way.
Rideau Trail - same location as above
Ancient one-eyed giant, pointing to the left here
Rideau Trail - between McLaren and Ferrier Roads

Welcoming Committees:  I was never alone.  Here is a sample of characters I saw, ready to greet me (I hope) as I passed by.


I added the features on this perfect smiley face!
Taylor Lake Trail, Banff National Park
Inukshuk with a grand view
Missinglink Mountain, Sheep Valley, Kananaskis Country
The Crows Nest
Crowsnest Pass, Southern Alberta
Gigantic dinosaur reaching to the clouds
Drumheller, Alberta
Looks like a friendly dog to me.
Rideau Trail - Ottawa River

On YOUR next trip, take a second look around you, and you may be surprised too.

Welcoming committee on Surveyor's Ridge, Alberta



No comments: