The passionate hiker

The passionate hiker
Early days in the outdoors

Saturday, June 28, 2014

The Tay Canal

Sat. 28 June:  The Tay Canal


On the Tay River
This was my first adventure in Ontario – but not a hike.  There is a strong possibility that the Passionate Hiker could become a Passionate Kayaker too.  But one step at a time. 

Today I explored the Tay Canal by kayak from its start in the centre of Perth, several kilometres downstream towards the Rideau Canal.  On a trip in the near future I will continue all the way down the Tay, through the Beveridge Locks, and into the vast system of lakes which make up most of the Rideau Canal.  One could spend a summer exploring the lakes and bays and campsites along the way

This was a good way to start.  It was a hot early summer’s day, with temperatures quickly rising from 19C to around 25C, and still going up as I biked home.  The secret to my journey was the strategically situated Perth Outfitters, with lots of lovely canoes and kayaks to rent, and really friendly and knowledgeable owners.

Total distance travelled =  about 14 km.

See the pictures.


Setting out from Perth
Soon reach a marshland - sounds of ducks and other hidden creatures
The canal starts to open up into a lake
Important looking signs!
The lake - about halfway to the Beveridge Locks
Here a large deer swam across the canal - too slow with my camera!
Some nice real estate - the only sign of human habitation on my journey
Hopefully I'm on the right side of this thing
Fascinating marshland beside the canal
Now upstream of my starting point:  approaching Perth basin
Perth basin - tempting fountains
The Town of Perth - start of the Tay Canal

No comments: