The passionate hiker

The passionate hiker
Early days in the outdoors

Sunday, February 19, 2012

First Steps

Sun. 19 February:  Oakridge and Braeside


A tentative amble around the neighborhoods of southwest Calgary showed me that I might be ready for more challenging trips ahead – although it has only been just over three weeks since my operation.

This sunny morning was ideal for a walk, although at this relatively early hour, not many people were out yet, apart from a few dog walkers.  Even on this city walk, there were two fine glimpses of the snow-clad mountains to the west. 

My route took me westwards on a line with 98th Avenue all the way to the Indian Reserve fence – from where I could look over the trees to the tops of the Front Ranges.  Now swinging back eastwards I followed a fairly straight line through Braeside all the way to the “Berlin Wall” of the fence along 14th Street.
 
From there I turned north, crossed Southland Drive, and climbed up through the expensive neighborhood of Pump Hill to the secret open hillside where once a windmill stood half a century ago.  Here were the best views of the day, across to the mountains – a spectacular setting.  And finally back westwards along 98th Avenue to home.


This trip of just over eight kilometers proved that I was capable of something more challenging next time out.




Statistics
Oakridge & Braeside
Sun. 19 February

Total Dist.

8.5 km (hike)

Height Gain

      50 ft.

Max. Elev.

 3,642 ft.

Time

1 hr. 33 mins.






Other Stats.

Start hike:     9.08 am
Return:        10.41 am

Start Temp:    0 deg.C
Finish Temp:+3 deg.C

Sunny, light cloud, cool W. breeze


No comments: