The passionate hiker

The passionate hiker
Early days in the outdoors

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Junction Creek - across the Sheep River

Fri. 21 May: Junction Creek


This trip relied entirely upon my being able to cross the Sheep River – which I was able to do – just!

Strong southerly winds were blowing the clouds away, leaving a clear sky as I traveled down to Turner Valley. For the first time it all looked very spring-like: cattle with their young calves, green grass, leaves finally appearing on the trees – and a clear light that made the foothills of Alberta look their best.

The trail to Junction Creek starts from the loop at the very western end of the Sheep River road, past Bluerock campsite. A short walk down the slopes brought me to the Sheep River, which I had to cross. I had been wondering how easy this might be. A few weeks ago I had made a fairly easy crossing, further east, on my way to Teskey Road. But since then, the spring snowmelt had started, and today the river was a different proposition. The current was strong, and it looked to be a couple of feet deep in the middle. I hesitated, walking a few yards upstream to see if there was an easier route across the swirling waters. There wasn’t.

So I rolled up my trousers, took off my socks, donned my sturdy sandals, and ventured carefully out into the flow, a strong walking stick in each hand to provide balance. Surprisingly, apart from a fierce current in the middle of the river, I made the crossing quite safely, although the water came up above my knees. But this was a dangerous venture. One slip and nothing would have prevented my being washed away downstream – no kidding!

My feet were freezing from this early morning dip! I sat on the opposite bank of the river putting my socks and boots back on, feeling as if I had already achieved something worthwhile today, but aware that I would have to repeat this exercise later in the day – and aware that rivers can rise rapidly in a few hours. With those happy thoughts, I clambered up the bank onto a wide trail, once a logging road, and started down the long, straight Junction Creek.

The first few kilometers were a gentle walk along this nice trail, mostly in the trees, with a few glimpses of tall ridges and peaks on both sides of the valley, poking up above the trees. Junction creek heads in a southerly direction into the heart of the mountains, with no easy escape. My plan was to go about two-thirds of the way along the valley to a set of waterfalls which according to the guide book might be spectacular in spring run-off.

The trail was littered with fallen trees, some quite large, which had over the years simply been allowed to sit where they had fallen. Hikers and equestrians had made detours around the obstacles. These well-worn detours were an indication of the popularity of this trail. Not surprisingly I had the entire valley to myself today!

After about three and a half kilometers I reached the site of a saw-mill – the orange sawdust still covering the trail after many, many decades.

Crossing a side creek (no sign of a side trail up to Junction Lake), the trail soon came closer to the lively Junction Creek, which was full of interesting little waterfalls and small rapids. There were great views of the mountains and high ridges enclosing this valley.

Several kilometers further – about 7 km from the start- I came to another side creek, and turned up hill, past some campsites in the trees, to my destination: a pretty little waterfall, dropping to a small pool in three stages. I would not call it spectacular or dramatic, but it was certainly worth a visit. It would not have been out of place in Derbyshire or Devonshire, where of course there would have been crowds of tourists and an ice cream van. Here I had it to myself.
Returning to the trail, I continued up a hillside. A well-disguised, but important trail, headed off to the right up the forested hillside. This is the route up over a high pass and down to Picklejar Lakes. Not an early season route. Then my trail dropped down to the Junction Creek. Here is what the guidebook author describes as “the greatest swim hole this side of the Pacific Ocean”. Overstated I think. Nevertheless it was a nice place to stop for a picnic and enjoy the mountain scenery.

If I had wanted to continue up to the head of the valley, I would cross the creek here, and on up the increasingly steep and narrow trail. But there was already snow and ice on the path, and I felt that this was a perfect destination.

So I turned around and made my way back down the trail. I had spotted some grand mountain peaks at the far end of the valley. These were part of the Dogtooth Mountains, which can be seen from an entirely different angle from my favourite destination – Flat (Trap) Creek.

Strolling back down the trail, I stopped to admire the creek as it tumbled along, below the long, high ridge of Junction Mountain, with its strange rock formation on the ridge top.

The day had been cold, and windy. The wind funneled straight down the valley, so at least on the return journey it was at my back. Although it was a cloudless sunny day, it took a long while for it to warm up.

And so at last I was back at the Sheep River, and relieved to find that the water levels had not risen three feet in the past half-day! Nevertheless, on the return crossing I decided to keep my boots on – as it was the end of my hike – and also to put on my versatile MICROspikes for added traction. I was glad that I did, for the current seemed much stronger than before, and I felt in imminent danger of being torn from my foothold and washed away downstream. It was quite an effort to move one leg forward at a time across the flow. But I made it – and for good measure, then took out my camera and got back into the freezing water, where the current was less strong, to take a couple of photos from part mid-stream!

I climbed up the riverbank and found a well-placed picnic area in the trees, protected from the strong wind, but in a now warm sunshine. I changed out of my soaking footwear and relaxed for a few minutes before returning to the car.

Out of curiosity I took a drive around the Bluerock campsite, as everything seemed so quiet and deserted on the road. I found that, this being the start of the May long weekend, every site had been taken. This Friday noontime peace would soon turn into evening bedlam in a few hours as absent campers streamed back into the site after work ended in the city later that afternoon.

The drive back down the Sheep River valley was a delight, with the new spring colors shining brightly in the sunshine. Spring really had arrived – finally. And I had avoided becoming an early season casualty of reckless river crossings!!


Statistics
Junction Creek
Fri. 21 May

Total Dist. 16 km (hike)
Height Gain 800 ft.
Max. Elev. 6100 ft.
Time on trail 4 hr. 28 mins.

No comments: