The passionate hiker

The passionate hiker
Early days in the outdoors

Sunday, August 23, 2026

RACING NORTH

 

RACING NORTH

August 21/22, 2026

 

My map:  60 km of new trails for cyclists!!

A year ago, I explored the latest extension of the OVRT (the Algonquin Trail) north from Petawawa to Chalk River.  I’m now just catching up on the next dramatic extension of the trail northwards from Chalk River, all the way to Bissett Creek, another roughly 60 km of brand new rail trail.

During these past two days I biked most of this latest section of trail, and now I only have to finish the roughly 16 km from Chalk River to James Lake Road.  In two days I biked almost 90 km, in four legs, using two different bases.  As a result, I’ve actually biked the new section from James Lake Road to Bissett Creek twice – there and back!  Not bad for a 75 year old!

I saw only one cyclist during these four trips, and he was a local guy on an errand.  I only met a handful of ATVs, a man and his dog, and a young black bear!  I had the place to myself.  Perhaps this is just too remote for many cyclists to explore – but they should do so.  I will let my photos speak for themselves.

If anyone would like to have details of my logistics, just let me know.  I explored some remote access roads, perhaps only busy in winter with snowmobiles.  And I can highly recommend the Deep River Motel for amazing value for money.

And I must find out more on the history of this section of the railway line, which had to be rerouted in the late 1940s, due to the raising of the Ottawa River water levels caused by the building of the Des Joachims dam.

Congratulations to everyone responsible for creating this new section of trail.  It is a superb job, and any intrepid cyclist must come and explore it.

Here's a link to my photo album, but I also attach the pics below: OVRT James Lake Rd to Bissett Ck. (44 km) - Google Photos


The Passionate Hiker (Biker??)

23 August 2026


Early starts

Just west of James Lake Rd.

Remote access point on day 2

Baby bear beside the trail

One of many lakes along the route

Hard to tell, but this is a huge embankment

Mackey Creek view West

Mackey Creek view East

The only crossing of Highway 17

Same bridge view south

Handy parking at the Municipal offices on Boat Launch Road - I was given permission to park behind the building



At Boat Launch Road in 2012 (from Google Maps)


Easy access to the river from the trail

Ottawa River from Boat Launch

Ottawa River looking downstream

Ottawa River views from the trail

Ottawa River

View of the Quebec side of the river

This line was rerouted in the late 1940s

Typical trail scenery

The only rail remnant that I noticed

Some rock cuttings

A more open view

The trail stretching westwards

END OF TRAIL: at Crossing Road

I walked up this section to the bridge

And found a few old spikes along the way

Bissett Creek bridge across Hwy 17


Two busy days!


No comments: