The passionate hiker

The passionate hiker
Early days in the outdoors

Monday, September 23, 2024

THE THREE TRAILS CHALLENGE COMPLETED!

 THE THREE TRAILS CHALLENGE COMPLETED!


Sharbot Lake station in more exciting days

I have now completed the Three Trails Challenge, reported in my previous blog entry.

Earlier this month, I finished the last leg of this 316 km circuit of three Eastern Ontario rail trails - the Ottawa Valley Recreational Trail northwest from Smiths Falls to Renfrew; the K&P Trail south from Renfrew to Harrowsmith, and the Cataraqui Trail northeast from Harrowsmith back to Smiths Falls.

I did it by bike, in 22 out-and-back trips (i.e. I actually travelled 632 km), over a 22 week period this year. I've created a photo album on Google. The photos, in sequence, will show you why it was worth the effort. The photos were not all taken on this trip, but over the past 9 years, so I could capture the best examples of the route.

Here's the link: The Three Trails Circuit - Google Photos

Apparently, last April, an 'extreme hiker' completed the circuit in just 3 days and 20 hours, and at least one cyclist has raced around the same route in 3 days of hard-core cycling. This way of doing it suited me better.

By interesting coincidence, this latest challenge reminded me a lot of my first end-to-end hike of the Rideau Trail, exactly ten years ago: almost the same distance (roughly 330 km), and completed in 21 stages over 18 weeks.  And for a total of just over 13 km, the Rideau Trail and this rail circuit share the same route, along three different sections of the Cataraqui Trail.

See this report: The Passionate Hiker: The Rideau Trail: Reflections

Now I just need to look for my next major challenge, for when I reach my 80's!!!



No comments: