The passionate hiker

The passionate hiker
Early days in the outdoors

Thursday, December 14, 2017

The Lost Spike

Thurs. 14 December:  The Lost Spike


Note: click on pictures for full size view.
The lost spike - then found!
This morning on the TV there was an interview with the author of an interesting book called “The First Spike”.  It tells the story of the local railways of Eastern Ontario.  I must ask Santa for a copy (hint!).
The title was probably inspired by Pierre Berton’s classic book “The Last Spike”, the story of the making of Canada, through the building of the CP railway. 
It was a cold, sunny morning today, with temperatures around minus 23C, although it later "warmed up" to minus 15C.  Six inches of snow lay on the ground.  So for the first time this season I dug out my trusty MICROspikes for a walk along the Rideau Trail.
So spikes were on my mind today as I set out on my walk in the woods.   Somewhere along the way, however, one of my MICROspikes fell off my boot.  It had never happened before.  Luckily, I found it on my return journey, lying in the snow.
My journey was a short pre-hike of this Saturday’s RTA trip from Long Lake Road to Lally Homestead.  It is an enchanting woodland walk, and I hope you will join me on the trail.  Bring your spikes!

 
On the road to Lally Homestead

On the snowy Rideau Trail south of Long Lake Road

Satellite shot of crystal trees beside a lake on another planet? 
Or an icy puddle on the Rideau Trail.  You decide.


No comments: