The passionate hiker

The passionate hiker
Early days in the outdoors

Saturday, February 7, 2015

The Loppet

Sat./Sun. 7/8 February:  The Loppet


Each year the Tay Valley Ski Club runs a series of races at Murphys Point.  These “loppets” cover various distances:  2.5 km, 5 km, 10 km and 20 km on two different, but connected courses.   

This year, the race date was uncertain due to poor snow conditions.  Luckily, during the week before the race, it hardly stopped snowing, and so the snow was perfect for racing.  It was the temperatures and the wind which were the challenge – at least for those who were not actually creating body warmth by racing.

I volunteered as a marshall.  On the Saturday I met the race director who showed me my two positions out on the course.  I unwisely turned up in snow shoes and so had to work hard to keep up with her as she ski’d around the trails.  On race day, Sunday, I brought my good set of skis and sturdier ski boots, which was much more sensible.

The challenge was standing at first one and then another nearby way-point in temperatures of minus 15 C and wind chills of minus 24 C, in sometimes strong gusty winds.  Thank heavens I had brought my warmest down winter jacket which kept me warm if not toasty all day.  

I could have kept warmer hands if I had not been taking dozens of photos of the participants!  Most of the pictures resembled a white landscape with a vague tiny figure somewhere in the middle.  Later editing somewhat improved the results.  I kept my feet warm by stamping my ski-clad feet and moving up and down the way-point line. 

The wind in the bare trees caused them to crack and creak alarmingly and I had visions of having to rush out and stop the race as a tall tree came crashing down – but they luckily remained upright! 

As the last racer passed by, I was joined by another marshall who was located not far from me and we happily joined the throng of skiers enjoying hot soup in the small, cosy and WARM chalet.  It had been a successful day and I had survived almost four hours of standing around in a frozen, windswept Canadian forest. That’s MY idea of fun!

Statistics:
Sat.
Total Distance:         3.8 km (snow-shoe)
Height Gain:             Say 60 ft.
Time on Trail:          1 hr. 21 mins.
Start:                        10.10 am
Ret. to car:               11.31 am
Temp:                      Minus 13C
Weather:                  Light snow

Sun.
Total Distance:        3.0 km (XC ski)
Height Gain:            Say 60 ft.
Time on Trail:          Say 40 mins. skiing
Start:                        n/a
Ret. to car:               n/a
Temp:                     Minus 15C
Weather:                 Overcast, ice pellets, windy

Lots of really bad pics of passing skiers!


No comments: