The passionate hiker

The passionate hiker
Early days in the outdoors

Saturday, February 16, 2013

McLean Hill: Under the Arch


Sat.  16 February:  McLean Hill:  Under the Arch


McLean Hill:  not much of a peak, but what a grand vantage point for today’s Chinook Arch.  The strong westerly winds were blowing the clouds away from the mountains, creating this arch of heavy cloud, and clear skies below it, framed by the Front Ranges.

As I walked up McLean Creek Trail road, beyond the winter gate, I met a jogger coming back down the road.  She told me that she had seen two moose further along the valley.  I soon turned up onto the lower slopes of McLean Hill, so sadly never saw them.  In fact I saw no animals, although there were signs of deer.  The guidebook provides the adventurer with a complex map of trails which seem to head off in every direction.  So after a while I gave up trying to follow instructions and struck up a steep forested slope which was mostly snow free.  This led to a forested ridge, and so to the first of many good views of the mountain wall to the west and the arch directly above me.

There seemed to be more trail options than on the map, and I was put off by a descending section of path.  So I climbed a steep cut-line for a short while, which led me to an outlier of the summit.  I quickly dropped down through the snowy forest back onto the trail and up to the surprisingly bare summit.  McLean Hill turns out to be an excellent viewpoint for everyone’s most favorite and well known section of foothills and mountains:  Moose Mountain to the north, then swinging west and south  one could see Prairie Mountain, Powderface Ridge, Forgetmenot Ridge, and behind them all the familiar Front Range peaks heavily snow covered and with clouds boiling up behind them.

I stopped for a while at the summit to enjoy this view, and to bask in a warm wind – hardly to be expected in mid-February.  Sure enough, later that night, it snowed and the temperatures dropped by about ten degrees!  But not in time to spoil this treat.

The hillsides drop steeply down from the summit along a cut-line.  This is off-road vehicle country and it was no surprise to me to hear the constant sound of revving engines in the valley below.  As I was about halfway down the steep, icy trail, I met a couple of quads heading up the hill.  A little later, a third quad passed me, only to return back down the hill five minutes later, very cautiously!  Without MICROspikes, today’s winter hike would have been impossible.  One could have guaranteed a broken leg.  I am so confident now of my spikes that I stride happily down a steep sheet of ice as if it were a sidewalk in the city.  One slip would be terrible, but the spikes simply don’t slip.

My return along the romantically named route 1B required some more climbing up a forested ridge, before a gentle descent along snow-packed motorbike trails back down to the road.  By now the sun had broken out from beneath the arch and it was a warm day.  I stopped beside the snow-covered McLean Lake for a picnic before heading home.  The local campsite will be full this weekend of campers with their quads and bikes, revving up as loudly as they can.  Not a place for a quiet weekend trip. 

Statistics:

Total Distance:   7.4 km (hike)
Height Gain:      1,300 ft.
Max. Elev.:       5,679 ft.
Time on Trail:    3 hrs. 9 mins.
Start hike:           9.05 am
Summit:            10.28 am
Ret. to car:        12.14 pm
Start Temp:        + 3 deg.C
Finish Temp:     + 6 deg.C
Weather:           Chinook cloud, sun towards end of hike.  Warm, W wind at summit.



No comments: