The passionate hiker

The passionate hiker
Early days in the outdoors

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Up in the Snow: the Coyote Hills

Sun. 8 April:  The Coyote Hills



An Easter Day snowshoe adventure, into country I had not explored for almost three decades.  It was in April 1983 that I wandered up into the Coyote Hills on a random route, finally reaching the summit by climbing precipitous avalanche-prone slopes, sinking two feet into the snow at every step.

Today there was still a lot of snow on these hills, and I wore my snowshoes the whole way.  Although I did not make the summit ridge this time, it was a worthwhile adventure, if only for the stunning mountain views under a cloudless dark blue sky.

The trip started from the Forestry Trunk Road, just over three kilometres south of Highwood Junction, beyond the Baril Creek bridge.  Over the years I had passed this spot on many occasions, each time wondering if the Baril Creek trailhead would be easy to spot.  There was no sign of anyone having been here since the recent snowfalls, and so I only found the trail after an initial climb up the forested hillside and a traverse through the trees.  Here I met what was clearly a trail heading west up Baril Creek.  After less than a kilometre I dropped down to the creek, and crossed easily enough to the northern side where I picked up an old trail.  Climbing the bank, I came across some footprints in the snow, which led to a nice campsite in the trees.  These people had been here recently, but had not ventured any further into the valley.  I saw no other signs of people all day.

My planned route was to head directly up to a first hilltop, then a second higher top, before tackling the
summit ridge.  The first hill was easy enough to reach, with the snow firm under my snowshoes, albeit steep at times.  The lower parts of this hill were snow-free, but the top was still snow-covered.  From here the views were already very good, both up Baril Creek to Baril Peak (9,837 ft.) and east to the Highwood range.  Several larger and smaller creatures had left their tracks in the snow, heading in various directions.  I left my own tracks across the hillside.

Now to reach the second hilltop I had to climb through the trees on a steep slope.  Soon I found myself sinking in two feet of snow.  If you want a good workout, try climbing a steep slope in snowshoes where at every step you sink deep into the snow.  I found a way to reach the top by taking a diagonal route up the slope, not trying to head straight up it.  Finally, quite exhausted, I came up over the steep ridge and followed the now gentle slope to the open hilltop, dotted with trees.

To my west the summit ridge of the Coyote Hills rose high above me.  The approach would require me to drop down to a col, then climb very steeply up snow-packed slopes to the cornice-lined ridge-top.  I knew this would be more than I could manage today.  So instead I sat on a handy tree branch and admired the views all round.  To the north, the jagged outline of Mist Mountain (10,297 ft.) filled the horizon.  To the south I could see snow-plastered Plateau Mountain shining in the sun.  This was well worth the effort, and I did not feel disappointed not to have reached the summit.  It looked avalanche-prone and very steep.  At least that was my excuse, although twenty nine years after my last successful attempt at these hills, I may have lost a little bit of that limitless energy I once had.

I returned the way I had come.  From below, my tracks were visible high above me in the snow.  My trip back to the car was uneventful.  It seems that Baril Creek is not often travelled in winter, although it is supposed to be a recognized snowmobile route to the Continental Divide around Fording Pass. 

I was in no hurry as I made my way back along the Highwood Valley, stopping to take yet more pictures to add to my collection of scenery shots that nobody will ever want to see!   
  





Statistics
The Coyote Hills
Sun. 8 April

Total Dist.

6.0 km (‘shoe)

Height Gain

    940 ft.

Max. Elev.

 6,188 ft.

Time

3 hrs. 1 min.






Other Stats.

Start hike:      7.56 am
Top:               9.35 am
Ret. to car:   10.57 am

Start Temp:   - 6 deg.C
Finish Temp: +1 deg.C

Cloudless, a few very scattered clouds later.  No wind.


No comments: