The passionate hiker

The passionate hiker
Early days in the outdoors

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Kananaskis Ski Trails

Sat. 19 February: Kananaskis Ski Trails

The snow conditions this winter have been the best I can ever recall. Today the cross-country ski trails down in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park were in just about perfect condition. The only problem was that, arriving at the Pocaterra trailhead, at sunrise on a cloudless morning, I found that the temperature was minus 25 degrees C! Not surprisingly I found myself alone in the cosy log cabin which acts as the warming hut.

I had started early from town, and ahead of me, sinking towards the western horizon. was a large moon, just past full. Coming up over Scott Hill on the Trans-Canada Highway, I was treated to the spectacular sight of the snow-covered front ranges, looking as high as the Himalayas, hanging in the air.

Halfway down the Kananaskis Valley, I saw a huge elk stag with an enormous set of antlers, standing beside the road. He moved into the trees, but not before I had taken a picture. I was a little disappointed later to find that, in studying the picture on my computer, he had a large number tag in his ear. He was elk # 133!

I had never been inside the Pocaterra warming hut before. It was a pleasant surprise. This spacious log cabin had several tables and benches inside, arranged in front of a log fireplace. Outside were ski racks and a groomed area for new cross-country skiers to practice on. The two large thermometers outside the hut showed that it was minus 25 degrees C.

My journey today would take me up the easy Pocaterra trail, then right onto Lynx, connecting to first Woolley then Meadow, and finally Lodgepole, to bring me back to the start, in a loop which was just short of 12 km.

Pocaterra had just been groomed and track-set, earlier that morning, and amazing to relate, for a sunny Saturday on the most popular route in K Country, I was first on the trail – and I had it all to myself. As I came towards the junction with Lynx, the first sunshine was starting to reach the trail. It was a cloudless, but very cold, day. I wore two hats and two layers of gloves.

Turning onto Lynx, I left the immaculately groomed tracks behind, and was now on skier set tracks. It had snowed almost every day last week, and there was about 3 inches of fresh snow on the trail. Lynx is rated as intermediate, mostly due to one long hill, which was uphill in my direction.

Today’s conditions were as perfect as you will ever find. The “easy” trails were ridiculously easy. The “more difficult” trails were easy, and the “most difficult” section which I encountered at the end of Lodgepole, was a joy. My new boots and old metal edged skis made this one of the most enjoyable outings I have ever had, in over thirty years of cross-country skiing.

Near the junction of Lynx and Woolley I met a guy and then a girl on the trail. They were the only skiers I saw until I returned to the warming hut at Pocaterra.

Woolley runs beside an open meadow with views across to the snowy peaks above, and frozen forested hillsides. In summer there is a lake beside this trail. Meadow Trail actually climbs up through the trees before dropping down a long hillside into the Visitor Centre car park.

I stopped here to enjoy the warmth and comfort of the lounge. This tall-ceilinged log building has a fireplace and comfy seats, with huge windows looking out to the mountains. A group of older people was preparing for a short outing on the ski trails.

Back on Meadow trail, I enjoyed a long descent through the trees, until coming out onto Lodgepole, beneath the power-lines. Here was the only “difficult” section of my trip, a very steep descent. It was a joy, as I whizzed down the steep slope under perfect control.

I was soon back at the start. By now, several other groups had arrived and were preparing to set out on the trail. Inside the warming hut, a dozen younger people were splitting up into the “fast” and “slow” teams for a trip up the same route as I had just completed. It was a relaxed setting and I was glad of the warm cabin to enjoy a sandwich and hot drink, before heading back to town.

The thermometer now showed minus 15 so it had warmed up a lot since I had set out. But it was still a cold day. Of course the best thing about skiing in temperatures below minus 15 is that you can hardly go wrong with the waxing, and that made the whole trip so much better, with great gliding and also good traction up the hills. In fact, it was the perfect day out on skis.


Statistics
Kananaskis Ski Trails
Sat. 19 February

Total Dist. 11.9 km (XC Ski)
Height Gain 260 ft.
Max. Elev. 5,545 ft.
Time on trail 2 hrs. 42 mins.

No comments: