The passionate hiker

The passionate hiker
Early days in the outdoors

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Season Opener

Sat. 20 November: Season Opener

This was a city trip but I'm making an exception.

Winter arrived in a hurry this week. Seven short days ago I was biking across the city. Today there was a foot of new snow and temperatures in the minus 20’s.

South Glenmore Park, just a few minutes from home, was the ideal place to declare the cross-country season open, on a day when travel outside of the city was tricky. It was a short trip from the boat dock westwards into the avenue of snow-covered trees and back again. It showed me that I have work to do on my skis. One boot sits unevenly on the ski, so I’ll need to sort it out before heading into the mountains.

A bright sun made this a true winter wonderland, with the snow heavy on the trees. Even with temperatures warming up to a balmy minus 17 degrees C, a slight breeze made it feel colder, and I was glad to return to a warm home.


Statistics

S. Glenmore Park
Sat. 20 November

Total Dist. 4.0 km (X-C ski)
Height Gain 0 ft.
Max. Elev. 3590 ft.
Time on trail 1 hr. 6 mins.
Temp. Minus 17 C

No comments: